Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Coming in Jan 2013: Dr. Jim Kerns!




Recently the department of plant pathology at NC State University graciously offered me the turfgrass pathology position.  Turfgrass Pathology has a long, storied history dating back to Dr. L.T. Lucas.  Many may know that I have a small part in the history of turfgrass pathology at NC State.  I had the great pleasure to have Dr. Lane Tredway as my major advisor during my PhD while I was at NC State.  There is no doubt that Lane built a Ferrari of a program and I am very much looking forward to driving this Ferrari.  Undoubtedly I will drive this program in a different direction, but I assure you I will do everything I can to provide value and service to the turfgrass industry of North Carolina.     

For the last 4.5 years I have built a program in turfgrass pathology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  While there my program focused on diseases of cool-season turfgrass and in particular, dollar spot and snow molds.  I built many great relationships in Wisconsin and I will miss working with the great industry there.  This is a huge change moving from Wisconsin back to North Carolina and I will likely require an education from you all on what is important to you.  I am very much looking forward to working with all of you and seeing what we can accomplish together.  My official start date will likely be in early Janaury 2013.  Prior to this, I am happy to discuss research ideas or areas of need and I have listed my current contact information below. 


Jim Kerns
(608) 516-8917
jkerns0@gmail.com

4 comments: